Why North Dakota People Hate Bismarck Mandan Drivers
I recently asked my listeners on air and on our social media pages what are their biggest pet peeves about Bismarck Mandan drivers.
The response was overwhelming. We have a big problem with driving in this neck of the woods.
The general consensus was that people in this section of North Dakota have some serious driving issues and probably need to go back to driver's education.
I know what you're thinking. These responses were coming from nothing but people who have moved here from other parts of North Dakota or other states. That wasn't the case.
Even lifelong Bismarck Mandan residents were admitting the area has a problem with driving.
Let's dig into some of the responses I received and see if you agree with them. I took in more than a hundred calls on-air, numerous messages on our app, and hundreds of responses on our social media pages. I better throw Lincoln drivers into the mix to be fair.
The Top 15 Reasons Why People Hate Bismarck, Mandan, and Lincoln Drivers:
1. "You have a blinker for a reason. Use the damn thing!" 143 total complaints.
2. "Don't drive 10, 15, or even 20 miles UNDER the speed limit. 117 total complaints.
3. "Learn to signal when you EXIT a roundabout. Not entering a roundabout (You look really stupid, plus it's the LAW.). 116 total complaints.
4. "If you're first at a stoplight you have a civic duty to pay attention for the light to turn green. Stay off your phone and move when the light turns green." 91 total complaints.
5. "Don't pull out in front of people EVER, but especially during icy conditions and people have no way to stop without going off the road or crashing into you." 61 total complaints.
6. "Quit being a red light runner. You're going to get somebody killed." 56 total complaints.
7. "Stay off your phones while you're driving and other distracted driving behavioral habits." 49 total complaints.
8. "Don't wait to turn on your blinker AFTER you have stopped at a light or stop sign. It's kind of pointless at that point." 44 total complaints.
9. "Don't be driving slow in the left turn lane. Move your a$$ over." 42 total complaints.
10. "Driving under the influence is a serious problem. Don't do it." 39 total complaints.
11. "People who act like they have never driven on snow before. Good grief this is North Dakota for Godsakes." 31 total complaints.
12. "People who ride your a$$ when they drive. You're just begging to rear-end somebody." 29 total complaints.
13. "Learn what to do at open (uncontrolled) intersections. Whoever arrives first gets to go first. It's that simple. Not who has the biggest truck." 19 total complaints.
14. "Learn to park correctly. The lines are there for a reason." 9 total complaints.
15. "Pull over for emergency vehicles. Don't be that guy or girl." 7 total complaints.
7 Weirdest Street Names In Bismarck
LOOK: 25 things that have different names depending on where you live in the US